Monday, October 4, 2010

Its going to be a crazy week!

I am feeling very apprehensive on this Monday morning. As I sit here sipping my coffee for which I was all out of milk and had to use a hazelnut creamer that expired last week, I am going over the weeks events to come in my mind. On Wednesday, Bitty #1 will be having surgery. She is having her tonsils and adenoids removed. Now, bear in mind, that 2 years ago she had tubes placed in her ears. This involved her being put under, to which I have horrible memories that will forever be burned in my mind. I went back to the OR room with her as they put her to sleep. I held her hand and whispered in her ear as her normally active body slowly went motionless and limp. {HORRIFYING} I know it was just anesthesia, but still, very traumatizing.
For this procedure, she will be undergoing general anesthesia, which requires a breathing tube. As I sat in her pre-op appt last week signing the consent form, I felt as if every bone in my body was trembling. What kind of a mother listens to the consent and then signs it? This could be fatal!! Well, okay. I am a nurse after all. These procedures happen several times a day and go off with out a hitch. The likelihood of anything actually going wrong is similar to taking a 500+ mile road trip and being in a fatal car accident. But we still take road trips right? Still, my mommy brain takes over my nursing brain and so here I sit, freaking out. I mentioned to bitty that she would be having this done, with out going grossly into detail. I want her to somewhat be prepared without scaring the tar out of her as well. So, today we have to go get pre-op labs which I feel may be just as traumatizing for the bitty. If you could, think of us kindly this week. :)

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck and Strength to get you through this week. You can do this and so can lil bitty!

    ReplyDelete