Thursday, October 28, 2010

Frustration

So I am really frustrated with my pumping work set-up. Or maybe lack of set-up for better terms. The past two weeks I have been in orientation in classrooms. I haven't been on the floor and our days are extremely structured. This makes it awkward to leave, but not impossible. I don't really have a problem with excusing myself for 15-20 minutes even when it misses the break by 5-10 minutes :)
HOWEVER. I don't really have a conducive place to pump. The first day I was given an empty conference room. The next day it was occupied so I was moved up to an exam room on a floor. That worked for a few days but then yesterday it was being used, so the NM (nurse manager) told me I could use the staff bathroom. Ok I said, lets check it out. Yes, there was an outlet, but no place to sit! Not to mention a cold dark bathroom isn't really pumping friendly. Do you have to really think about that long to come to that conclusion on your own? So I simply mentioned the lack of a place to sit {in the restroom} and she got flustered and finally offered an office not being used. The main issue I have is the pressure I feel not to be pumping, like formula would be so much  more convenient for everyone else.
So I sat in the office after she said, "Don't go through any of my papers" and held back tears. Why doesn't anyone here understand or offer empathy? I'm sure someone here has been a working/pumping mother.
All I am wanting is for a place that I can go without having to disturb anyone or "bug" them. Being able to just slip away do my business and come back. I don't want to have to involve anyone in the process or be reliant on someone else to find or make a space available for me. Maybe I am asking to much? But in the mean time I waiver on something that I don't have any reason to be unsure about. I thankfully have a plentiful milk supply and it wouldn't make sense to waste it simply because it's inconvenient for those around me. I feel really discouraged with the thought of having to fight this battle every time I have to go to work. That stress in itself now will probably affect my milk supply. AH.
Sincerely,
Simply Frustrated.
Any suggestions? Words of advice? Comfort?

3 comments:

  1. There is also no place at my work to do anything like that. Although Cecilia is formula fed, I know many mothers that have pumped/are pumping while standing in the stalls of the restroom here at the college. You are not alone in feeling the way you do I am sure, and you will also not be the only one pumping standing in a bathroom stall. The world is just not breast feeding friendly.
    I hope that you are able to find a place that you feel is comfortable. Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. UG! I feel for you!! Do you have tinted windows enough to go to the car? Not exactly great coming into winter.. but youd always have a place to go! I have the problem with where to breast feed, but you can throw a blanket over and sit almost anywhere. Dont quit... youre just getting into the groove and itll get easier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post makes me so upset for you! Sometime I take having my own office for granted. I've had to pump in the bathroom a few times while traveling on business and that is not optimal. Your place of employment needs to give you a room! Is there anyway you can book conference rooms for yourself through out the day.

    Stick with it, you'll figure something out and be happy when you do:)

    ReplyDelete