Friday, December 3, 2010

Leg gussets or no leg gussets...

So somewhere along the line in the past week, I got a whim to try making my own diaper. Not because I want to save money, not because I think I can (or can't), but because I am wanting a diaper with specific attributes! I am having trouble finding a great night-time diaper that I love, and that stays leak-proof! (Bitty is starting to wet more, so this is a new issue)

Prior, Bitty was wearing BG AIO, Fuzzibunz pockets, and BG pockets with success. Now almost every morning she is wet. So I decided to try and create a diaper that has the traits that I am looking for!

So I sit down at the computer, and of course google how to sew cloth diapers. Yikes! I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. I thought I would find a lovely little website that explained from A to Z how to make a diaper. Um, no. I found websites with patterns, more websites with patterns you have to buy, and various instructions that were like reading Japanese! And then they all use fancy little abbreviations and talk about materials and stiches I've never heard of! I scoured the web for probably a total of 4-5 hours combined and put together pieces from here and there to try and have it all make sense for ME. I found a simple pattern (just to get an idea for size so I can tweak), looked up how to do certain things (like attaching elastic), how to make and attach leg gussets if desired, and types of fabric.
To make the first diaper, everyone recommends using old towels, t-shirts, blankets, etc. This is just to get an idea for size, and obviously you don't want to use $10+ of material on your first shot!
What works better for my little mind is to work from scratch. Trying to follow instructions when I have no idea what it means is hard and I almost always mess up. But if I have an idea in my head then I just go for it. It's a try try again method. Probably more time consuming, but works for me. After I finish I can go back and look at intstuctions and then they make sense! Backwards I know. SO, I completed my first diaper yesterday....heres a look!







Everything is going to be hook & loop becuase I have no idea how to do snaps, and you need a fancy dancy snap press and all. Oh well, I like the velcro just fine. I already have more ideas how to change it, so we'll see what the next one looks like!

1 comment:

  1. oh look Sienna is doing her ab crunchers in the one picture!!! She is a good model! I think they look very good Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete